TWITTER

Don't miss the many ride stories and photos of members in the articles below.

Also, be sure to go to the archives section to see more than 200 posts of members bikes and stories.

Search This Site-For an Old Article - Just type a keyword in and hit the search button.

Monday, May 5, 2008

My first Motorbike


Here I am on my first motorbike. In the neighborhood where I grew up on the extreme far west side of Denver, Colorado, back in 1963/4 all the guys on my block had some kind of bike.

There was no way to get around. It was miles to walk anywhere and there was no bus transportation. So, we were all able to convert that into getting our parents to let us buy a bike. Back then, you could get a driver's license at age 14 (me in the pic at age 14), if your bike was 6 hp or less.

I still love this Yamaha trail bike. I rode it for miles, over all kinds of terrain. There were the mountains to the west. We regularly rode up one of the narrow canyons of Bear Creek or Deer Creek and went swimming in the creek. Or sometimes we would use inner tubes to float down the cold creek waters on a hot summer day.

What was your first bike, and what did you do on it?

2 comments:

Hannah Parkin said...

My first motorcycle was a 1980 Harley Davidson that was passed down to me by my uncle. I still have it, although I don’t ride it anymore. I still keep it in tip-top shape because it’s a great conversation piece. I clean it regularly, and still turn it on to keep the engine warm and running.

Max Piedra said...

I can’t remember the name of my first bike, but it was a scooter that looks cute and slim and it looked good in black and red tones. My old scooter was my best buddy; we went out with my friends who had their own rides as well. Sometimes, we would watch movies, or go for some short road trips. I miss my old bike. I believe that, someday, I can have my new getaway bike and somehow relive the good old days.

1913 Harley Davidson - Complete Look including watching it run!

Read all the way down, and check the archives section. LOTS of great ride stories and photos!

Be sure to go to the 'Archives' on the right side of this page. There are hordes of great ride stories in 2009/2008.

You can use the 'search' button on the top righthand side of the page to find a specific article or see what's available on a specific subject.

There's a very well written story about riding around Kyushu Island Japan and ending at "The Sturgis of Japan", or ride along with John and the Muskogee Motorcycle Club back in the 'old' days.....in a story from John Merriam, or how about following Peter Galea, Francis Galea and myself as we ride from Seattle to Las Vegas?

Much more! Just go to the search bar and type a search, or spend time going thru the archives (on the lower right side) to see many stories and pictures. Ride Safe, brothers and sisters!